Veggie burgers with a kick! My husband and I are not vegetarians at all, but we’re trying to cut down on the amount of chicken and meat we eat because it’s so expensive. Lentils do the job here: super cheap, super easy, super tasty! Serve on big buns with tomato slices, onion, ketchup, and avocado instead of mayo!
- water to cover
- 1 cup dried lentils
- ½ cup wheat germ
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green chile pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 Pour enough water into a pot that will cover lentils and wheat germ; bring to a boil. Add lentils and wheat germ, reduce heat, and simmer until lentils are tender, adding more water if needed, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove pot from heat and cool slightly; mash lentil mixture until thick and lumpy.
- 2 Transfer mashed lentil mixture to a bowl. Mix onion, green bell pepper, mozzarella cheese, egg, green chile pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper into lentil mixture until thoroughly mixed; shape into 8 patties.
- 3 Heat about 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat. Lower heat to medium-high and cook 4 patties in the hot oil until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining oil and patties.
- Calories 195.1
- Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 25.5 mg
- Fat 9 g
- Fiber 8.6 g
- Protein 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Sodium 34.6 mg
- Sugar 1.2 g