- Published Mar 1st
- Ready In55m
A Mediterranean-style eggplant sauce for pasta that can be served with chicken for meat-lovers. Use good quality pasta, cheeses, and fresh herbs for best results. Serve with slivered or grated Parmesan. Serve with a green salad.
Mediterranean-Style Eggplant Pasta Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Mediterranean-Style Eggplant Pasta for 4 servings:
- 1 eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- salt as needed
- 9 ounces pappardelle pasta (wide fettuccine noodles)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 (18 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, or more to taste
Mediterranean-Style Eggplant Pasta Cooking Instructions
- Ready In55m
To cook Mediterranean-Style Eggplant Pasta, you need about 10 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Mediterranean-Style Eggplant Pasta is about 35 minutes , and you can serve your Mediterranean-Style Eggplant Pasta within 55 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Mediterranean-Style Eggplant Pasta easily:
- 1 Arrange eggplant slices in a colander and sprinkle with enough salt to lightly coat; drain for about 10 minutes. Rinse eggplant and pat dry with paper towels. Chop eggplant into cubes.
- 2 Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pappardelle at a boil until tender yet firm to the bite, about 10 to 11 minutes; drain.
- 3 Heat 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir eggplant, adding more oil if eggplant gets dry, until browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer eggplant to a bowl, reserving oil in the skillet.
- 4 Heat remaining oil in the same skillet; cook and stir onion and garlic until golden, about 10 minutes. Return eggplant to skillet and season with oregano; cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- 5 Mix tomatoes, vinegar, salt, sugar, and black pepper into eggplant mixture; cover skillet and simmer sauce until eggplant is softened, about 10 minutes. Mix sauce with pasta in a bowl; top with mozzarella cheese and basil.
- Cook's Note:
- Salting the eggplant in the colander can be skipped, but will ensure that any bitter taste is removed and will reduce the amount of oil absorbed during frying. It's not necessary to peel the eggplant.
- Substitute 2 tablespoons from oregano for the dried, if desired.
- Balsamic vinegar can be used in place of red wine vinegar, if desired.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 567 calories; 24.4 grams of fat; 68.1 grams of carbohydrates; 21.9 grams of protein; 45 milligrams of cholesterol; 891 milligrams of sodium.