Serve these mussels as an appetizer with some crusty bread or as a meal over linguini. It is sure to please mussel lovers!
- 5 pounds mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 5 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns in brine, crushed
- 1 In a large pot (or the kitchen sink basin), soak the mussels 10 minutes in enough lightly salted cold water to cover.
- 2 In a separate large pot, mix the onion, tomatoes, garlic, beer, wine, and peppercorns. Place the mussels in the pot, and bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until mussels open. Discard unopened mussels.
- Calories 209.3
- Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 44.5 mg
- Fat 1.4 g
- Fiber 2 g
- Protein 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Sodium 615.9 mg
- Sugar 6.1 g