I mixed and matched and finally found the best way to brine a turkey. It adds flavor but not enough to overpower what you will use when you roast the turkey. It will literally leak when you cut it… that is how juicy this bird gets. You can also use this brine for other types of poultry.
- 5 cups water, divided
- 1 cup salt
- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 quarts apple juice (not from concentrate)
- 1 pint whiskey (such as Jack Daniel's®)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 large Gala apple, quartered and chopped
- 1 navel orange, quartered, or more to taste
- 1 Combine 2 1/2 cups water and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until salt is dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- 2 Pour water and salt mixture into a 5-gallon bucket. Add 1 gallon of water.
- 3 Combine 2 1/2 cups water and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Pour into the bucket.
- 4 Stir apple juice, whiskey, and lemon juice into the bucket. Add chopped apple. Squeeze in orange juice and add in rinds.
- Calories 101.5
- Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Fat 0.1 g
- Fiber 0.5 g
- Protein 0.1 g
- Sodium 8.9 mg
- Sugar 14.9 g