Recently the internet went wild for a delicious Mississippi pot roast wherein beef is braised in a slow cooker with butter, pepperoncini, and packets of powdered au jus gravy and ranch dressing. Guessing that the MSG from the latter two ingredients explained all the rage, I decided to mimic the flavors using from-scratch seasonings and boneless short ribs. It came out really well, especially when served over mashed potatoes with a garnish of parsley.
- 2 ½ pounds boneless beef short ribs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- ⅓ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 whole pepperoncini peppers
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2 Season short ribs with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Heat oil in a pan over high heat. Add short ribs and sear until well browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer beef to a baking dish.
- 3 Reduce heat to medium-high and add onion and mushrooms to the pan. Season with salt. Saute until mushrooms are golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- 4 Meanwhile, combine kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, dill, rosemary, thyme, and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Sprinkle seasoning mixture evenly over the beef.
- 5 Sprinkle flour over the onion and mushrooms. Stir to coat and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and bring to a boil; remove from heat. Pour mixture over the beef and cover with pepperoncini. Place butter on top. Cover baking dish with foil.
- 6 Bake in the preheated oven until meat is fork-tender and falls apart easily, about 2 1/2 hours.
- 7 Spoon sauce from the bottom of the pan onto the beef to serve. Skim off excess fat as desired.
- Calories 385.7
- Carbohydrate 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 75.1 mg
- Fat 34.1 g
- Fiber 0.8 g
- Protein 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Sodium 968.2 mg
- Sugar 1.2 g