Open-faced refried bean and cheese sandwiches, topped with tomatoes, fresh avocados from Mexico, red onion and cilantro. My own twist on this Mexican comfort food!
- 4 bolillo rolls, sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 (20.5 ounce) can refried pinto beans
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados from Mexico, peeled, pitted and sliced crosswise
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, sliced into rounds
- 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2 Place the bolillo roll halves cut side up on a baking sheet and spread each with 1/2 tablespoon of butter or margarine. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- 3 Place refried beans in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes until warm.
- 4 Divide the refried beans among the toasted rolls and spread evenly to the edges. Sprinkle each roll with 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella. Return rolls to oven and bake until cheese is melted, 7 or 8 minutes.
- 5 Remove from oven and top each roll with the sliced tomatoes, avocados, red onion and chopped cilantro. Sprinkle each roll with a pinch of cumin and a pinch of salt. Drizzle each roll with 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil.
- 6 Serve warm with fresh sliced lime.
- Calories 814.6
- Carbohydrate 96.8 g
- Cholesterol 61.3 mg
- Fat 36.9 g
- Fiber 17.6 g
- Protein 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Sodium 999.6 mg
- Sugar 4.6 g