My Mom has cooked this recipe for as long as I remember. Now that I live on my own, I can’t wait to go back home over the holidays to have this excellent dish. Mom would probably be upset that I gave it away, but it is so delicious that I think everyone should have a chance to experience it. Technically shish kabobs use lamb, so these should be called beef kabobs, but this is the family recipe and what we call it.
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ pounds lean beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 16 mushroom caps
- 8 metal skewers, or as needed
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into large squares
- 1 Whisk the vegetable oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, black pepper, and salt together in a bowl; pour into a resealable plastic bag. Add the beef, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator 8 hours or overnight.
- 2 Add the mushrooms to the bag, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and reseal the bag; marinate in the refrigerator another 8 hours.
- 3 Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- 4 Remove the beef and mushrooms from the marinade, shaking off any excess liquid. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes; set aside for basting.
- 5 Thread pieces of green bell pepper, beef, red bell pepper, mushroom, and onion onto metal skewers, repeating until all ingredients are skewered.
- 6 Cook the skewers on the preheated grill, turning frequently and brushing generously with the reserved marinade until nicely browned on all sides and the meat is no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes.
- Calories 417.6
- Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 58.7 mg
- Fat 28.6 g
- Fiber 3.6 g
- Protein 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Sodium 2815.9 mg
- Sugar 6.8 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.