- Published Apr 2nd
- Ready In10h 20m
I could not find the perfect recipe so this is my recipe that I came up with after comparing three different ones. I combined the ingredients that I liked and mom’s ham and bean soup was invented. Enjoy!
Mom’s Ham and Bean Soup Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Mom’s Ham and Bean Soup for 8 servings:
- 1 1/2 cups dried Great Northern beans
- 4 meaty ham hocks
- 5 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
Mom’s Ham and Bean Soup Cooking Instructions
- Ready In10h 20m
To cook Mom’s Ham and Bean Soup, you need about 20 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Mom’s Ham and Bean Soup is about 2 hours , and you can serve your Mom’s Ham and Bean Soup within 10 hours 20 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Mom’s Ham and Bean Soup easily:
- 1 Place Great Northern beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight. Drain water and transfer beans to a large stockpot.
- 2 Mix ham hocks, water, celery, onion, carrot, garlic, thyme, black pepper, and bay leaf with beans in the stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until ham is coming off the bones, about 2 hours.
- 3 Remove ham hocks from soup. Cut meat from bones, discarding fat and bones. Return meat to the pot. Continue cooking until beans reach desired softness.
- Cook's Note:
- Navy beans can be substituted for the Great Northern beans, if desired.
- To thicken your broth, if desired, mash beans slightly. If too thick just add a little water.
Per Serving: 397 calories; 21.5 grams of fat; 25.3 grams of carbohydrates; 25.1 grams of protein; 68 milligrams of cholesterol; 90 milligrams of sodium.