- Published Dec 24th
- Ready In35m
This corn bread is a little on the sweet side. It’s made with white cornmeal, but yellow works too. I learned to make it from my other mom (MIL). It is baked in a cast-iron skillet. Can be used to make stuffing or put leftovers in a cup with milk and put it in the fridge overnight for a comforting breakfast.
Mom’s Sweet Buttermilk Corn Bread Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Mom’s Sweet Buttermilk Corn Bread for 10 servings:
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups white cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
Mom’s Sweet Buttermilk Corn Bread Cooking Instructions
- Ready In35m
To cook Mom’s Sweet Buttermilk Corn Bread, you need about 10 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Mom’s Sweet Buttermilk Corn Bread is about 25 minutes , and you can serve your Mom’s Sweet Buttermilk Corn Bread within 35 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Mom’s Sweet Buttermilk Corn Bread easily:
- 1 Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- 2 Pour vegetable oil into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet and swirl oil to coat bottom and sides of skillet. Place skillet into preheated oven until very hot, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove skillet from oven.
- 3 Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Beat eggs in a separate bowl and stir buttermilk into eggs. Pour half (2 tablespoons) of vegetable oil from the hot skillet into buttermilk mixture, retaining remaining oil in skillet, and beat until oil is incorporated. Mix buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients to make a smooth batter. Pour batter into skillet.
- 4 Bake in the oven until top is golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Cut cornbread into servings while in skillet; serve warm.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 231 calories; 7.8 grams of fat; 35.6 grams of carbohydrates; 5.8 grams of protein; 39 milligrams of cholesterol; 589 milligrams of sodium.