Chicken cooked in a tagine is always meltingly tender. Adding sweet, caramelized pears at the end makes this Moroccan dish irresistible.
- 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves, crushed
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pears, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2 Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook onions until softened and browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer onions into a tagine. Layer chicken pieces on top of onions.
- 3 Combine turmeric, cumin, ground coriander, and salt in a small bowl; mix well with remaining 5 tablespoons olive oil. Spread spice mixture onto the chicken pieces. Add cinnamon pieces, bay leaves, ginger, and cilantro. Pour in 1/2 cup of water and cover tagine with a lid.
- 4 Bake in the preheated oven until chicken is no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- 5 Melt butter in a skillet over low heat while chicken is cooking. Add sliced pears and honey and cook, while stirring, until honey has caramelized.
- 6 Remove tagine from the oven and stir in caramelized pears. Return to the oven and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Calories 533
- Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 109.8 mg
- Fat 36 g
- Fiber 3.4 g
- Protein 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Sodium 508.7 mg
- Sugar 12.9 g