This is NOT your usual plain green bean casserole. This is a recipe that started with my great-aunt and has been passed around our family for years. People tasting it for the first time ALWAYS want the recipe!
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3 ounces processed cheese (i.e. Velveeta®), cubed
- 1 tablespoon real bacon bits
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cut green beans, drained
- 1 (2.8 ounce) can French-fried onions
- 1 Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- 2 Heat the undiluted cream of mushroom soup in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the processed cheese and bacon, and continue stirring until completely melted. Remove from the heat, stir in the mushrooms, then the green beans until evenly coated. Pour the mixture into a casserole dish, and top with the fried onions, leaving a 1 inch margin around the sides.
- 3 Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until heated through and bubbly. Check near the end of cooking to make sure the onions aren't getting too brown.
- Calories 204.4
- Carbohydrate 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 12 mg
- Fat 13.3 g
- Fiber 2.8 g
- Protein 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Sodium 1110.5 mg
- Sugar 4.4 g