This soup will bring you good luck for the new year! It is a yummy way to make sure you have your black-eyed peas – a Southern New Year’s tradition.
- 1 pound dry black-eyed peas
- 3 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 In a large saucepan with enough water to cover, soak the black-eyed peas 8 hours, or overnight.
- 2 Drain and rinse the soaked black-eyed peas, and return to the saucepan. Mix in the beef broth, dry onion soup mix, sausage, rice, and green chilies. Season with pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until the beans are tender. Add water as necessary to keep the ingredients covered with liquid.
- Calories 312.7
- Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Cholesterol 25.7 mg
- Fat 12.7 g
- Fiber 5.2 g
- Protein 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Sodium 1130.5 mg
- Sugar 4.3 g