- Published Mar 18th
- Ready In45m
My grandmother (Nonnie) used to make this chowder using leftover veggies from the week and a piece of ham on the bone. It’s incredibly creamy and the thyme and pepper make it such a savory dish. I use a piece of boneless ham steak, but I find that if I don’t use ham on the bone, I need to add some salt to get the flavor right. Enjoy!
Nonnie’s Ham Chowder Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Nonnie’s Ham Chowder for 8 servings:
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion (such as Vidalia®)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups milk
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
Nonnie’s Ham Chowder Cooking Instructions
- Ready In45m
To cook Nonnie’s Ham Chowder, you need about 15 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Nonnie’s Ham Chowder is about 30 minutes , and you can serve your Nonnie’s Ham Chowder within 45 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Nonnie’s Ham Chowder easily:
- 1 Place the potatoes into a large pot; cover with salted water. Bring to a simmer and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, remove from pan, and reserve.
- 2 Melt butter in the saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion in butter until soft, but not brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour, bouillon, pepper, and thyme. Slowly whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened to soup consistency.
- 3 Stir in the frozen vegetables, cooked potatoes, and ham. Simmer chowder until hot, about 10 minutes.
Per Serving: 230 calories; 9.5 grams of fat; 25.9 grams of carbohydrates; 11.3 grams of protein; 36 milligrams of cholesterol; 616 milligrams of sodium.