It’s a great day when my mom serves up this Southern specialty! Cooked grits are combined with seasonings, cheese, and eggs, then baked. The eggs are the secret to light fluffy grits that melt in your mouth! You may adjust or eliminate the hot sauce to suit your taste.
- 6 cups water
- 1 ½ cups quick-cooking grits, dry
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 pound processed cheese, cubed
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- 2 In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Stir in grits, and reduce heat to low. Cover, and cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in the butter, cheese, seasoning salt, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, and salt. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and fold in the eggs. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- 3 Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the top is lightly browned.
- Calories 258.1
- Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 107.3 mg
- Fat 22.3 g
- Fiber 0.1 g
- Protein 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Sodium 1140.9 mg
- Sugar 3.1 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.