- Published Dec 21st
- Ready In2h 50m
Old World Poppy Seed Roll Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Old World Poppy Seed Roll for 16 servings:
- 1/2 pound poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup hot milk
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (100 degrees F/38 degrees C)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, or more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg, separated - white reserved
Old World Poppy Seed Roll Cooking Instructions
- Ready In2h 50m
To cook Old World Poppy Seed Roll, you need about 20 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Old World Poppy Seed Roll is about 30 minutes , and you can serve your Old World Poppy Seed Roll within 2 hours 50 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Old World Poppy Seed Roll easily:
- 1 Place poppy seeds into a food processor and process until seeds are ground, about 1 minute.
- 2 Mix poppy seeds with 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, lemon juice, and hot milk in a bowl; stir to combine. Cover poppy seed filling and refrigerate while making bread (filling will set up and thicken as it chills).
- 3 Mix yeast with water and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Allow to stand until the yeast forms a creamy layer.
- 4 Whisk flour with salt in a bowl; use a pastry cutter to cut 1/4 cup butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 5 Pour yeast mixture and egg yolk into flour mixture and stir to make a soft dough.
- 6 Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth and slightly springy, about 5 minutes. If dough is too sticky, knead in more flour, about 2 tablespoons at a time.
- 7 Cut dough into 2 equal pieces. Roll each piece out into a 12x16-inch rectangle.
- 8 Spread half the poppy seed filling over each rectangle, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold the 1-inch border back over the filling on all sides and press down.
- 9 Pick up the shorter side of a dough rectangle and roll it like a jelly roll; repeat with second rectangle. Pinch ends together or tuck ends under to prevent filling from leaking out.
- 10 Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; place rolls seam sides down on the baking sheet and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 11 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 12 Beat egg white in a bowl until frothy; brush the rolls with beaten egg white.
- 13 Bake in preheated oven until dark golden brown on top, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cover rolls with a clean kitchen towel until cool to keep crust soft. Cool completely before slicing.
Per Serving: 216 calories; 10.6 grams of fat; 26.8 grams of carbohydrates; 5 grams of protein; 22 milligrams of cholesterol; 109 milligrams of sodium.