Here’s an Italian classic that needs no adaptation to make it paleo.There are plenty of everyday meals that are paleo and many people don’t realize it. Broccoli rabe and sausage is one of them. Luckily for me it’s also an Italian dish. This is a meal you will most likely find on an Italian restaurant menu. It should be made with olive oil, not butter, and you can ask to omit the shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano. Although, darn, that stuff is good. Lemon zest brightens it and adds a subtle, yet significant flavor.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, or more to taste, divided
- 4 (3.5 ounce) links Italian sausage, sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bunches broccoli rabe, trimmed
- 1 pinch lemon zest, or to taste
- 1 pinch ground red pepper, or to taste
- sea salt to taste
- ½ lemon
- 1 Coat the bottom of a skillet with a thin layer of olive oil; heat over medium heat. Cook and stir sausage slices in skillet until browned, 3 to 5 minutes; add garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- 2 Add broccoli rabe to the skillet; season with lemon zest, red pepper, and sea salt. Drizzle olive oil over the broccoli rabe and toss to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli rabe is completely wilted, about 15 minutes. Squeeze lemon half over the sausage and broccoli rabe mixture.
- Calories 688.1
- Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 71.5 mg
- Fat 54.6 g
- Fiber 6.4 g
- Protein 32.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Sodium 1742.9 mg
- Sugar 4.1 g