- Published Jul 18th
- Ready In30m
This is a new twist on pesto for all asparagus lovers! Shell pasta can be substituted for orecchiette.
Pasta with Asparagus Pesto Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Pasta with Asparagus Pesto for 4 servings:
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 cup water, or as needed
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup packed fresh basil, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino-Romano cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 (16 ounce) package orecchiette pasta
Pasta with Asparagus Pesto Cooking Instructions
- Ready In30m
To cook Pasta with Asparagus Pesto, you need about 10 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Pasta with Asparagus Pesto is about 20 minutes , and you can serve your Pasta with Asparagus Pesto within 30 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Pasta with Asparagus Pesto easily:
- 1 Heat a skillet over medium-high heat; add pine nuts. Cook and stir pine nuts until fragrant and toasted, about 5 minutes.
- 2 Pour enough water into a skillet to reach a 1-inch depth; bring to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove asparagus from skillet, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Set aside 1/2 cup asparagus tips.
- 3 Blend remaining asparagus, pine nuts, reserved 1/2 cup cooking water, 1/2 cup basil, olive oil, garlic, salt, black pepper in a blender until smooth, keeping the center piece of lid removed to release steam. Add Pecorino-Romano cheese; blend until smooth.
- 4 Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook orecchiette pasta in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 10 minutes. Drain and return pasta to pot.
- 5 Slice the remaining 1/4 cup basil. Add sliced basil, asparagus sauce, reserved asparagus tips to pasta; toss to evenly mix. Garnish with extra Pecorino-Romano cheese.
- Cook's Note:
- If using thin asparagus, cut each stalk crosswise in half. If using medium asparagus, cut stalks into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
Per Serving: 581 calories; 17.9 grams of fat; 89.8 grams of carbohydrates; 19.1 grams of protein; 0 milligrams of cholesterol; 587 milligrams of sodium.