- Published Oct 19th
- Ready In54m
Penne with Peppers and Sausage Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Penne with Peppers and Sausage for 6 servings:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat penne pasta
- cooking spray
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) package spicy Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Penne with Peppers and Sausage Cooking Instructions
- Ready In54m
To cook Penne with Peppers and Sausage, you need about 20 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Penne with Peppers and Sausage is about 34 minutes , and you can serve your Penne with Peppers and Sausage within 54 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Penne with Peppers and Sausage easily:
- 1 Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil; add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain.
- 2 Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat. Add green bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until almost tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
- 3 Place turkey sausage in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir, breaking sausage up with a wooden spoon, until browned and crumbly, about 6 minutes. Add red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper, and oregano; stir in tomatoes. Simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- 4 Place penne in a serving bowl; top with sausage mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cook's Note:
- During busy weeknights, streamline the prep using frozen bell pepper strips or frozen diced bell pepper strips and onions. Use a high-quality Parmesan cheese for maximum flavor. Just a small amount can completely transform your favorite italian recipes.
Per Serving: 210 calories; 9.4 grams of fat; 14.4 grams of carbohydrates; 18.9 grams of protein; 62 milligrams of cholesterol; 901 milligrams of sodium.