This is a wonderful sauce of pineapple, apple, onion, curry, and bacon that mixes together to make the most flavorful sauce for chicken on rice.
- 6 slices bacon, sliced into small strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tart apple, chopped
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained and juice reserved
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple rings, drained and juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons curry powder
- salt to taste
- 5 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded to about 3/4-inch thickness
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2 Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute bacon, onion, and apple in hot skillet until onion is slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- 3 Stir chicken broth, reserved pineapple juices, tomato puree, flour, and curry powder into bacon mixture; bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring often, until flavors blend and sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; stir crushed pineapple and salt into curry sauce.
- 4 Place chicken in a single layer in a glass baking dish. Pour curry sauce over the chicken.
- 5 Bake chicken in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 30 to 35 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Garnish with pineapple rings.
- Calories 293.8
- Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Fat 7.9 g
- Fiber 2.6 g
- Protein 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Sodium 630 mg
- Sugar 19 g