Light and refreshing pineapple tart with a shortbread crust. This was my childhood favorite (almost 60 years ago)! Everyone loves this dessert! Serve with whipped cream if desired.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 ¼ cups white sugar
- 1 cup crushed pineapple in juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 egg whites
- 1 Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- 2 Combine flour, butter, and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat together until a soft dough forms. Press dough over the bottom and up the sides of a 9x12-inch baking pan.
- 3 Bake in the preheated oven until edges are light golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 4 While crust is baking, bring sugar and crushed pineapple to a boil in a small saucepan. Mix cornstarch with water and stir into the pineapple filling. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- 5 While filling is cooling, beat egg whites in a glass, metal, or ceramic bowl until stiff peaks form. Add slightly cooled pineapple mixture; whip on low speed until just combined. Give filling 1 more stir to ensure it is evenly mixed.
- 6 Pour filling into the baked crust. Return to the oven and bake until the topping is slightly golden brown, about 10 minutes. Cool before cutting into squares.
- Calories 245
- Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Fat 11.7 g
- Fiber 0.6 g
- Protein 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Sodium 16 mg
- Sugar 20.2 g