This adds a Latin flair to any meal! You can add soda (pop for those of you from the midwest) (red Fanta®, Orange Crush®, or Inca Kola®) to add color and flavor.
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 large ripe plantains, peeled and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 2 Heat an oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle white sugar evenly into the bottom of the skillet; cook until sugar melts and turns golden brown, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and stir butter into sugar. Stir cinnamon into butter mixture and remove from heat.
- 3 Dip each plantain slice into butter mixture to coat on both sides. Arrange coated plantains in a shingled pattern to cover the bottom of the skillet.
- 4 Spread puff pastry sheet over plantains, tucking corners into the skillet.
- 5 Bake in the preheated oven until puff pastry is golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool briefly. Place a serving plate upside-down over the top of the skillet; flip the skillet to remove tarte tatin from the pan.
- 6 Whisk mascarpone cheese and confectioners' sugar together in a bowl until smooth. Spread a large dollop of mascarpone mixture over the top of the plantains. Serve with remaining mascarpone mixture on the side.
- Calories 779.8
- Carbohydrate 104.3 g
- Cholesterol 67 mg
- Fat 41 g
- Fiber 5.2 g
- Protein 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Sodium 128.6 mg
- Sugar 54.7 g