I grew up eating these tasty treats. Always served at the table as an appetizer prior to salad. Totally delicious.
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups tapioca flour
- 2 cups finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 Heat half-and-half, vegetable, and salt together in a saucepan over medium heat; constantly whisk until mixture just starts to boil, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour mixture into a large deep bowl.
- 2 Stir tapioca flour into half-and-half mixture using a wooden spoon. Mixture will thicken quickly. Cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- 3 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 4 Mix Pecorino Romano cheese and eggs into tapioca mixture using an electric mixer or by hand until dough has a paste-like texture. Continue mixing until dough is soft and stretchy. Roll dough into 2- or 3-inch balls and arrange on a baking sheet.
- 5 Bake in the preheated oven until cheese balls are puffed and hardened on the outside, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
- Calories 117.7
- Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Fat 7.4 g
- Protein 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Sodium 12.5 mg
- Sugar 0.1 g