Low-carb yet filling poblano cream soup with chicken. Make it spicy to your liking. Serve in soup bowls garnished with cilantro, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, and/or shredded cheese.
- 5 poblano peppers
- 2 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup salsa verde
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast, shredded
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Roast poblano peppers over open flame on a gas stove or grill until all sides are charred, 5 to 8 minutes. Place blackened peppers into a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow peppers to steam as they cool, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard skins.
- 2 Combine chicken broth, cream cheese, Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, and salsa verde in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- 3 Peel the cooled poblano peppers and remove seeds. Finely chop peppers in a food processor.
- 4 Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and cumin. Cook and stir until slightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add poblanos and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add chicken and saute for 2 minutes more.
- 5 Pour cheese mixture into a stockpot over low heat. Add the chicken mixture and bring to a simmer. Cook until heated through, at least 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Calories 356.2
- Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 108 mg
- Fat 25.5 g
- Fiber 1.9 g
- Protein 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Sodium 658.2 mg
- Sugar 2.3 g