A very Sri Lankan recipe for coconut roti. Very quick and easy and a meal in itself with a pat of butter and some onion sambol. Mainly eaten for breakfast but also for dinner. Don’t overcook the roti or they will get hard and crispy. Serve hot.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated fresh coconut
- 2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- ⅓ cup cold water, or as needed
- 1 teaspoon oil, or more as needed
- 1 Sift flour into a large bowl and mix in salt. Stir in coconut, chile peppers, and onion. Mix in water gradually until dough is soft and slightly sticky. Knead dough until it is smooth and leaves the side of the bowl, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 2 Grease your palms and the top of the dough lightly with oil. Divide dough into 8 balls and place on a lightly greased work surface. Flatten each ball with your palm into a roti about 1/4-inch thick.
- 3 Heat a lightly oiled griddle over medium heat. Cook rotis, flipping often, until golden brown spots begin to appear on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Calories 159.2
- Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Fat 4.2 g
- Fiber 1.9 g
- Protein 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Sodium 294.7 mg
- Sugar 1.3 g