Polvarones are a Puerto Rican Christmas cookie.
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons colored sugar, or as desired
- 2 tablespoons sprinkles, or as desired
- 2 tablespoons guava paste, or as desired
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2 Beat white sugar, butter, and shortening together in a bowl using an electric mixer until creamy. Mix in almond extract. Add flour in batches, kneading the dough to thoroughly combine.
- 3 Roll dough into walnut-size balls and place 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Make a well in each cookie with a wooden spoon handle. Sprinkle colored sugar, sprinkles, and guava paste into the wells.
- 4 Bake in the preheated oven until lightly golden, 16 to 20 minutes.
- Calories 99.8
- Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 6.8 mg
- Fat 5.6 g
- Fiber 0.2 g
- Protein 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Sodium 18.5 mg
- Sugar 4 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.