My Mexican husband was shocked at how authentic this recipe was to his mom’s and grandmother’s recipe. This is a delicious, not too spicy, authentic Mexican pork stew that is easy to make and a recipe that everyone in your family will enjoy. Serve with Spanish rice and warm tortillas.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (3 pound) boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or more if needed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatillos
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons sour cream, divided
- 6 sprigs cilantro
- 1 Stir together the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and cumin in a large bowl. Place the cubed pork into the mixture, and stir well to coat the meat with the seasonings.
- 2 Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the oil shimmers. Working in batches if necessary, place the meat into the hot pan in a single layer. Pan-fry the pork until brown on all sides, about 15 minutes. Remove the pork to a bowl, and cover to keep warm.
- 3 Cook and stir the onion in the hot pan over medium heat, adding more olive oil if necessary, until the onion is translucent and beginning to brown, about 7 minutes. Return the meat to the pan and stir in the garlic, tomatillos, chiles, marjoram, chopped cilantro, and water. Check seasoning and add 1 pinch of salt to taste, if needed. Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender, about 1 hour. Skim excess fat off the stew before serving in bowls, garnished with a dollop of sour cream and a cilantro sprig on each bowl.
- Calories 346.2
- Carbohydrate 18 g
- Cholesterol 87.5 mg
- Fat 16.1 g
- Fiber 3.1 g
- Protein 32 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Sodium 839.2 mg
- Sugar 5 g