There is nothing better on a chilly, damp day than a steaming bowl of potato leek soup; and conversely, few things are as delicious and refreshing on a hot, sweaty day than a bowl of ice cold vichyssoise.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ pounds trimmed leeks, cleaned and thinly cut
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 ¼ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into eighths
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, or more as needed to adjust thickness
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup creme fraiche
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish
- 1 Melt butter in soup pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks and salt; cook until leeks begin to wilt. Reduce heat to medium or medium-low and cook until soft and almost pastelike, 30 to 40 minutes.
- 2 Place potatoes in the pot; add chicken broth. Adjust heat so mixture simmers slowly. Cook until potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes. Puree mixture with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. Whisk in heavy cream and creme fraiche. Heat over medium heat. Add more salt, if needed, and cayenne pepper. Do not boil.
- 3 Serve with a drizzle of creme fraiche and a sprinkle of chopped chives.
- Calories 424.3
- Carbohydrate 35.4 g
- Cholesterol 104.3 mg
- Fat 30.5 g
- Fiber 3.6 g
- Protein 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Sodium 1171.3 mg
- Sugar 5.7 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.