- Published May 5th
- Ready In2h 35m
Prime Rib Our Way Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Prime Rib Our Way for 12 servings:
- 1 (8 pound) standing rib roast, fat trimmed
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 3 1/4 cups rock salt (such as Morton® Rock Salt for Making Ice Cream), or as needed
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 3/4 cup cold water, or as needed
- 6 slices bacon (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 (1 ounce) packets dry au jus gravy mix
- 6 cups cold water, or as needed
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
Prime Rib Our Way Cooking Instructions
- Cook1h 20m
- Ready In2h 35m
To cook Prime Rib Our Way, you need about 45 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Prime Rib Our Way is about 1 hour 20 minutes , and you can serve your Prime Rib Our Way within 2 hours 35 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Prime Rib Our Way easily:
- 1 Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Rinse the roast, and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle black pepper and rosemary over the top and sides of the meat, and set aside.
- 2 In a large bowl, mix the rock salt with the flour, and slowly work in 3/4 cup of cold water or as needed, about 1 tablespoon at a time, to make a sticky paste. Place a 1/2-inch thick layer of the rock salt paste into the bottom of a roasting pan. Lay the meat, ribs down, onto the paste. Lay the bacon strips over the top of the roast. Smear rock salt paste liberally all over the roast, coating the top, sides, and bottom of the meat. Reserve about 1/4 cup of the paste.
- 3 Bake the roast in the preheated oven until seared and brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the roast from the oven, and check for holes in the paste coating; repair with reserved paste. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Return the roast to the oven, and cook until browned and an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat, not touching bone, reads 130 degrees F (54 degrees C) for medium-rare, about 1 more hour. Remove the roast, and allow to stand for about 30 minutes. Temperature will rise to 140 to 145 degrees F (60 to 65 degrees C) as it rests.
- 4 Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the mushrooms until browned and their liquid has almost evaporated, about 15 minutes. Stir in 6 cups of cold water, and whisk in the au jus gravy mix until smooth. Stir in the red wine. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened.
- 5 To serve, break off and discard the salt crust from the meat; slice, and serve with mushroom gravy.
- Editor's Note
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the salt crust ingredients. The majority of the salt crust will be discarded, and the actual amount consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 709 calories; 46.7 grams of fat; 30.8 grams of carbohydrates; 36.7 grams of protein; 120 milligrams of cholesterol; 30710 milligrams of sodium.