Afraid of rice so you use Minute® rice? Try this Puerto Rican style rice passed on from my family and you will never go back! No more boxed rice!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup sofrito
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (1.41 ounce) package sazon seasoning with achiote
- ½ tablespoon adobo seasoning
- 2 cups medium-grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can gandules (pigeon peas), drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium-sized caldero or nonstick pan. Stir in sofrito, garlic, sazon, and adobo; cook for 4 minutes, making sure not to burn garlic. Stir in rice until coated well; pour in chicken broth and water and stir once more.
- 2 Bring mixture to a boil and cook over medium-high heat until all liquid has been absorbed and rice looks like it has little holes throughout, 20 to 25 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in peas and cilantro gently from bottom to top, once or twice only. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- 3 Turn off heat and let rice sit, uncovered, for 10 minutes more.
- Calories 256.1
- Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Cholesterol 1.5 mg
- Fat 3.8 g
- Fiber 2.7 g
- Protein 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Sodium 1287.7 mg
- Sugar 0.6 g