This is a delicious dish that can easily be used as a main dish. This is a recipe that I only follow measurements on the milk, the rest is by eye only so a very easy and simple meal.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 2 Place the cauliflower florets in a saucepan with about 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and set aside.
- 3 Melt the butter in a small pan. Stir in the flour, and cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the milk, and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in most of the bread crumbs. Remove from the heat, and stir in the egg yolks, cheese, and finally cauliflower.
- 4 Whip the egg whites in a large glass or metal bowl until stiff. Fold the cauliflower mixture into the egg whites. Transfer to a ceramic or glass 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining bread crumbs on top.
- 5 Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until puffed and golden.
- Calories 382.5
- Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 225.2 mg
- Fat 27.9 g
- Fiber 3.2 g
- Protein 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Sodium 451.9 mg
- Sugar 6.4 g