Delicious and filling veggie enchiladas inspired by my dad! His recipe used mole sauce, which I can’t buy where I live, so I came up with a tasty alternative. Serve hot with Spanish rice and cilantro garnish.
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- cooking spray
- 2 heads broccoli, chopped
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded pepperjack cheese, divided
- 8 whole-wheat tortillas
- ½ cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2 Combine refried beans, enchilada sauce, cocoa powder, and molasses in a saucepan over low heat; stirring occasionally, simmer until hot, about 5 minutes.
- 3 Coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Cook and stir broccoli, onion, red bell pepper, poblano pepper, and jalapeno pepper until just soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- 4 Spread a thin layer of bean mixture to cover the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- 5 Sprinkle about 1/4 cup pepperjack cheese across the center of each tortilla and top with about 2/3 cup vegetable mixture. Fold in two small opposite sides of each tortilla and carefully roll the tortillas around the vegetable filling; arrange in a single layer with the seam-side down in the baking dish.
- 6 Pour remaining bean mixture evenly over the filled tortillas in the baking dish and spread to cover evenly.
- 7 Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven until sauce is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Calories 379.9
- Carbohydrate 47.3 g
- Cholesterol 49.9 mg
- Fat 16.7 g
- Fiber 8.5 g
- Protein 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Sodium 774.8 mg
- Sugar 4.6 g