This great spring soup is delicious and filling. When I was single, I liked to freeze leftovers. Now, my husband gobbles it up before I can find a lid for my tupperware!
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 6 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 1 Cut the asparagus spears into bite-size pieces; set the tips aside. Divide the spear pieces into two separate microwave-safe containers. Place 1/2 tablespoon butter in each bowl. Loosely cover both containers and place in the microwave oven; cook on High until the asparagus is completely soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 2 While the asparagus steams, melt 1/2 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; cook the onion and garlic in the butter until soft, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and stir briskly for 1 minute. Add the chicken soup, milk, hot pepper sauce, salt, pepper, liquid smoke, and the steamed asparagus stalks; cook until heated through, 7 to 10 minutes.
- 3 Pour about 3/4 of the soup into a blender in batches, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree until smooth and pour into a clean pot. Add the remaining 1/4 of the soup into the pureed soup; stir in the asparagus spears. Cook until thoroughly reheated, about 5 minutes.
- Calories 362.8
- Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Cholesterol 69.3 mg
- Fat 25.4 g
- Fiber 2.1 g
- Protein 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Sodium 3056 mg
- Sugar 13.4 g