This dish is good hot or at room temperature. I serve it as a side when the kids want mac and cheese for dinner. They do not eat it, but it makes me feel grown-up. It is very tasty.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 bunch red Swiss chard, rinsed and chopped
- ¼ cup kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons capers
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 In a cast iron skillet, cook onions in olive oil over medium-high heat until they begin to brown. Stir in brown sugar, and continue cooking for a few minutes.
- 2 When onions are brown and tender, stir in chard and olives. Cook until chard is slightly wilted. Stir in capers and salt, and continue cooking until chard is completely wilted, about 3 minutes. Season with black pepper and squeeze lemon over the top.
- Calories 118
- Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Fat 9.2 g
- Fiber 1.9 g
- Protein 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Sodium 608 mg
- Sugar 3.6 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.