Tired of lettuce salads? Enjoy this light, fresh salad, inspired by classic tabbouleh flavors. Cook and drain red lentils, then add fresh herbs, scallions, and Roma tomatoes. Toss with a light dressing of extra-virgin olive oil and lemon juice, garnish with scallion greens, and enjoy for lunch or dinner.
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable stock
- 7 ounces red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- ½ cup minced fresh mint
- 2 medium chopped green onions, white and green parts separated
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, seeded, diced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium lemon, zested and juiced
- salt to taste (optional)
- 1 Bring vegetable stock to a boil in a saucepan and add drained lentils. Stir and reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered, for 7 to 8 minutes. Lentils will be slightly undercooked. Drain, and allow to cool, about 30 minutes.
- 2 Place cooled lentils in a large mixing bowl and add minced fresh parsley and mint. Add white parts of the green onions, reserving the chopped greens for the garnish. Add tomatoes.
- 3 Combine extra-virgin olive oil and zest and juice of a lemon in a small bowl. Stir to combine, then pour over the salad and toss. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, before serving.
- 4 Before serving, taste and add salt, if desired. Garnish with reserved chopped green tops of green onions.
- Calories 171.9
- Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Fat 7.8 g
- Fiber 5.2 g
- Protein 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Sodium 113.6 mg
- Sugar 2.2 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.