This is by far the best stuffing recipe I have ever had. I have made it for the last 3 Thanksgivings and everyone has raved about it. It is very unique and the flavors are so delicious!!! Serve this up for Thanksgiving and your guests will be asking for the recipe!!!
- 3 ½ cups water, divided
- 1 ½ cups low fat, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- ⅓ pound bacon
- 3 cups diced onions
- 3 cups diced celery
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 ¾ cups currants
- ¾ cup dried cherries
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ½ ounce dried apricots
- 1 cup diced, unpeeled apples
- ½ cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 6 tablespoons dried mixed herbs
- 1 In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring 1 1/2 cups water and the chicken broth to a boil. Stir in wild rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
- 2 Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Reserving drippings, drain bacon, crumble, and set aside.
- 3 In the skillet with the reserved bacon drippings, saute onions and celery with 1 tablespoon water. Cook until very soft, about 20 minutes.
- 4 Stir remaining water, white rice, currants, cherries, cranberries, apricots, and apples into the wild rice. Continue cooking 20 minutes, or until wild rice and white rice are tender.
- 5 In a large bowl, mix the bacon and the onion mixture into the rice mixture. Season with the Italian parsley and dried mixed herbs.
- Calories 312.7
- Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Cholesterol 8.6 mg
- Fat 6.4 g
- Fiber 6.2 g
- Protein 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Sodium 186.5 mg
- Sugar 27.5 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.