Here’s a rich soup for an autumn day–winter squash is roasted and pureed and blended into a creamy broth seasoned with cinnamon and roasted coriander.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups raw winter squash (butternut, hubbard, acorn)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion (1/4-inch)
- ¼ cup diced celery (1/4-inch)
- ¼ cup diced carrot (1/4-inch)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 (32 ounce) carton Progresso® chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon ground toasted coriander
- Roasted Winter Squash (above)
- ½ cup half-and-half, if desired*
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup Progresso® plain Panko crispy bread crumbs, toasted light brown in saute pan over medium heat
- 1 To make roasted winter squash: Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Heat butter over medium-high heat in an ovenproof saute pan; add diced squash, salt and pepper. When squash begins to brown, place pan in oven. Roast for 15 minutes or until medium-brown on all sides. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Puree in food processor, or mash with potato masher or ricer. Measure 1 1/2 cups squash; reserve.
- 2 To make soup: Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add the onion, celery, carrot and cinnamon stick; saute until soft but not brown, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the broth and the coriander; bring to a boil. Simmer for several minutes. Stir in reserved squash until smooth; simmer gently to let the flavors meld, about 10 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- 3 Puree the soup using an immersion blender or in a blender until smooth. (The soup can be made ahead to this point, cooled, covered, and refrigerated for several days or frozen for about 1 month. It will thicken as it cools and may need thinning with broth or water when reheating.)
- 4 Return the soup to the pan and reheat gently. Add the half-and-half. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Top each serving with pumpkin seeds and toasted bread crumbs.
- Calories 350.3
- Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Cholesterol 26.5 mg
- Fat 22.7 g
- Fiber 2.3 g
- Protein 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Sodium 1387.9 mg
- Sugar 2.7 g