Roasting enhances the flavors of any vegetable, but seems to add a wonderful, rich sweetness when done with cherry tomatoes. This recipe takes that sweetness, complements it with fresh herbs and a touch of heat from red pepper flakes, with some low-fat ricotta to smooth it all out. I topped it with some salty, nutty Pecorino cheese.
- 2 pounds red cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ pound tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup julienned fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 12 ounces whole wheat linguine
- ½ (16 ounce) container low-fat ricotta cheese
- ½ cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2 Combine all tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a large, glass baking dish; toss to coat.
- 3 Roast in the middle of the preheated oven, stirring regularly, until tomatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir in basil, parsley, and oregano.
- 4 When the tomatoes have been roasting for about 35 minutes, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook linguine at a boil until tender yet firm to the bite, 5 to 7 minutes (cook for 2 minutes less than package directions.) Drain and return to the pot.
- 5 Add the roasted tomatoes and herbs to the linguine and cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Add ricotta cheese and stir until melted and smooth.
- 6 Serve topped with Pecorino Romano cheese.
- Calories 347
- Carbohydrate 49.3 g
- Cholesterol 27.5 mg
- Fat 10.2 g
- Fiber 9.8 g
- Protein 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4 g
- Sodium 504.4 mg
- Sugar 2.7 g