Published Mar 5th
Prep 12m Cook 18m Additional 15m Ready In 45m
Servings 8 pancakes Calories 496.4
Ordinary pancake mix gets a decadent kick from tea and brown sugar. Cooking the pecans on the bottom side of the pancake toasts them more than sprinkling them on top, and the brown sugar will caramelize on the top side once the pancake is flipped in the skillet. This pancake is so rich and bursting with flavor, you shouldn’t need butter or syrup at the table.
- 3 rooibos tea bags
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups complete pancake mix (such as Aunt Jemima's Buttermilk Complete®)
- ¼ cup butter, or as needed
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup pecan halves
- 1 Steep the rooibos tea bags in the water for 5 minutes; remove tea bags and allow tea to cool.
- 2 Heat a skillet over medium-low heat until a drop of water on the surface sizzles for a moment before disappearing. Whisk together 1 1/2 cups cooled tea with the pancake mix.
- 3 Melt 1 teaspoon butter in the center of the skillet. Place 4 to 5 pecan halves into the melting butter. Pour about 1/3 cup pancake batter directly over pecans and butter. Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar over the top of the pancake, and add another thin pat of butter over the sugar.
- 4 When the edges of the pancake appear dry and bubbles form on the top, turn and cook until lightly browned, about 40 seconds. Remove from pan; add any melted sugar from the pan to the top of the pancake. Repeat with remaining pancake mix, butter, pecans, and sugar.
- Calories 496.4
- Carbohydrate 62.9 g
- Cholesterol 44.2 mg
- Fat 24.4 g
- Fiber 3.1 g
- Protein 8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Sodium 878.9 mg
- Sugar 13.9 g