This from-scratch gumbo takes a little bit of time, but is well worth the effort! No bouillon, chopped tomatoes, chicken, sausage, or bacon here! Impress your Cajun friends with this wonderful gumbo. Serve over white rice with a side of French bread. Enjoy!
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®), or to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound frozen chopped okra
- 1 pound catfish, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 ½ pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file powder, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 Put flour into a Dutch oven or large heavy pot and add flour. Turn heat to medium-high, put the pot on the burner, and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thick and bubbly, has a 'peanutty' smell, and is dark brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool and thicken.
- 2 Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir celery, green onions, and bell pepper in hot butter until tender, about 10 minutes; add to pot with the roux.
- 3 Stir water, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, 2 teaspoons salt, hot pepper sauce, and thyme into the vegetable mixture. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 hour.
- 4 Stir okra into the vegetable mixture and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Add catfish, stir gently, and cook until the flesh is easily flaked with a fork, about 5 minutes. Gently stir shrimp into the mixture; cook until the shrimp are bright pink, about 3 minutes. Season with the file powder and salt; stir.
- Calories 344.3
- Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 159.2 mg
- Fat 20.4 g
- Fiber 3.4 g
- Protein 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Sodium 1129.5 mg
- Sugar 3.1 g