If you are looking for a super healthy dish that has robust flavor and leaves your guests feeling full without guilt, this is a great accompaniment to any meal or can stand on its own as a vegetarian dish. It is vegetarian, gluten- and dairy-free.
- 1 eggplant, cut in half
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ cups quinoa
- 3 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a pie pan; place eggplant in pie pan. Sprinkle onion on top and around eggplant.
- 2 Bake in the preheated oven until eggplant is soft and browned, about 1 hour.
- 3 Bring water to a boil in a 2-quart pot. Stir in quinoa; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- 4 Combine heirloom tomatoes, basil, lemon juice, and sea salt in a large bowl. Stir in the warm quinoa, a little at a time, until salad is combined.
- 5 Scoop out warm eggplant, in chunks, from the skin with a spoon; discard skin. Stir eggplant chunks and onion into salad. Cover with plastic wrap.
- 6 Place salad into the refrigerator; chill until flavors combine, about 4 hours.
- Calories 203.8
- Carbohydrate 39.1 g
- Fat 3 g
- Fiber 8.2 g
- Protein 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Sodium 159.9 mg
- Sugar 5 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.