I learned to make this spicy red chile dish by experimenting in my kitchen after enjoying it at a friend’s place. It takes a while to make, but it is well worth it. Serve hot with tortillas, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa and sour cream. This also works well with a pork roast.
- ¾ cup New Mexico red chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups water
- 4 pounds beef roast, cut into cubes
- 1 In a medium bowl, combine the chili powder, cornstarch, lemon juice and water. Mix together well. Place the meat in a resealable plastic bag with the marinade and turn to coat thoroughly. Marinate in the refrigerator for 6 to 16 hours.
- 2 Place in a slow cooker and cook on high setting for about 4 hours, or until the meat is completely cooked and shreds easily.
- Calories 495.2
- Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 107.5 mg
- Fat 36.8 g
- Fiber 4.1 g
- Protein 34.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Sodium 206.4 mg
- Sugar 0.9 g