Published Nov 8th
Prep 30m Cook 7h 10m Additional 5m Ready In 7h 45m
Servings 12 servings Calories 226
I recently discovered this easy recipe for slow cooker pork chile verde, and it has quickly become one of my all-time favorites. Serve in bowls over rice or with warm flour tortillas.
- 1 (3 1/2) pound boneless pork shoulder roast, cut into 5 or 6 pieces
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided, or more as needed
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large Anaheim chile pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped, or more to taste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 12 large whole Anaheim chile peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- ¾ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Season pork with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown pork pieces in the hot oil, about 5 minutes. Place pork into the bottom of a slow cooker.
- 2 Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Saute onion, chopped Anaheim chile, and garlic for 5 minutes, adding more oil if needed. Add mixture to the slow cooker; pour in chicken broth.
- 3 Cover and cook on High until pork is tender and easily shredded with a fork, about 4 hours.
- 4 Set an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler. Brush the whole chile peppers with oil and place on a baking sheet.
- 5 Broil in the preheated oven for 5 minutes per side. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- 6 Remove pulp and seeds from chiles and cut into pieces. Place into the bowl of a food processor with enchilada sauce, cilantro, cumin, and chili powder. Puree until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 7 Remove pork from the slow cooker and shred using 2 forks; return to the slow cooker. Add pureed chile pepper mixture and stir well. Cook on Low, 3 to 4 hours more.
- Calories 226
- Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 53.9 mg
- Fat 12.7 g
- Fiber 2.1 g
- Protein 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Sodium 503.3 mg
- Sugar 4.9 g