This is not paella, but it has all of the ingredients of my basic paella recipe and makes for a great wintertime alternative. The slow cooker makes it easy to prepare; adding the rice at the end keeps it from getting overcooked. It is not paella, but it stands up on its own.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 12 saffron strands
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, shaped into 1-inch balls
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 Heat a slow cooker on Low. Add chicken stock, onion, poblano pepper, tomato, garlic, paprika, liquid smoke, and saffron strands. Stir to mix. Add chicken thighs and sausage balls and stir again.
- 2 Cover and cook on Low for 4 to 5 hours.
- 3 Turn slow cooker to High and add rice; stir to mix. Cover and cook until rice absorbs all of the liquid, about 45 minutes.
- Calories 590
- Carbohydrate 57 g
- Cholesterol 99.5 mg
- Fat 23.5 g
- Fiber 2.2 g
- Protein 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Sodium 1152 mg
- Sugar 2.9 g