Learn how to master this classic summer dessert to get the perfect macerated strawberries nestled between fluffy, tender shortcake layers and topped with vanilla bean whipped cream.
- 2 quarts ripe strawberries, hulled and quartered
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted
- ¼ cup sanding sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 Crush about 1/4 of the strawberries with a fork. Mix together with the remaining strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Set aside to macerate for up to 1 hour.
- 2 Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 3 Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Mix cream, eggs, and almond extract together in a separate bowl.
- 4 Cut cold butter cubes into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter until texture resembles damp sand. Make a well in the center and pour in the cream mixture; fold it in gently with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough forms.
- 5 Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times until dough comes together. Pat out until 1/2-inch thick. Fold dough in half and then in quarters, and pat out into a 1/2-inch thickness again. Repeat folding one more time.
- 6 Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter and taking care not to twist the cutter in the dough, cut out 12 rounds and place at least 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- 7 Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown on top, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- 8 While the shortcakes are cooling, make the whipped cream. Combine heavy cream, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla bean paste in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes.
- 9 Split the shortcakes in half and top with macerated strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream.
- Calories 581.7
- Carbohydrate 59.7 g
- Cholesterol 142.1 mg
- Fat 36.2 g
- Fiber 3.6 g
- Protein 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.1 g
- Sodium 384.4 mg
- Sugar 22.1 g