This recipe is a strong family favourite. It’s great to warm you up on cold winter evenings, or in the summer served with a fresh green salad. You can use Cheddar instead of Red Leicester if you prefer. A plain bechamel sauce is also tasty, but add a little more nutmeg. If sauce making is scary, this dish works just as well with a tin of smoked fish chowder or packet sauce.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 2 (6 ounce) salmon fillets, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound smoked haddock fillets, undyed, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup flaked or chopped smoked salmon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 ½ cups Red Leicester cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- 2 Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions; cook and stir until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3 Place the potatoes in a separate saucepan and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until tender enough to pierce with a fork. Drain and transfer potatoes to the prepared baking dish.
- 4 Add the onions, salmon, haddock, and smoked salmon to the baking dish, tossing to mix.
- 5 In the same skillet that the onions were cooked in, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in flour so there are no lumps. Cook and stir for a few minutes, then gradually stir in the milk. Simmer, stirring frequently, until the sauce begins to thicken. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper; remove from the heat. Stir in most of the Cheddar cheese until melted, reserving some to sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Pour the sauce over the contents of the baking dish, and sprinkle with the remaining Cheddar cheese.
- 6 Bake in preheated oven until the salmon is cooked through and the cheese on top is toasted, about 30 minutes.
- Calories 694.9
- Carbohydrate 58.8 g
- Cholesterol 147.6 mg
- Fat 26.4 g
- Fiber 8.3 g
- Protein 55 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Sodium 1332.2 mg
- Sugar 13.6 g