An easy and delicious blend of smoked sausage, apples, onions, and sauerkraut that everyone will love! This is great served with potatoes and cornbread. If you do not wish to use brandy, a good quality apple cider may be substituted for it in the gravy.
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste
- ½ large onion, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup apple brandy
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Set aside.
- 2 Make a layer of sliced apples in the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with a bit of the cinnamon. Layer half of the onion, then half of the sauerkraut over the apples. Place all of the sausage slices over the sauerkraut, reserving the drippings in the pan. Cover the sausage with the remaining sauerkraut, onion, and top with apple slices. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon over the top.
- 3 Pour the heavy cream and brandy into the skillet with the sausage drippings. Place over medium heat, and stir to remove the bits of sausage flavor from the bottom. Pour over the sausage and apple casserole.
- 4 Cover, and bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
- Calories 358.7
- Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Cholesterol 76.4 mg
- Fat 23.7 g
- Fiber 3.2 g
- Protein 12 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Sodium 1465.1 mg
- Sugar 14.9 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.