Neat way to make a ball shaped cake. Perfect for birthday parties. Kids love it. Use your favorite flavor of cake mix.
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (16 ounce) container vanilla frosting
- 12 black licorice whips
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 2 1/2 to 3-quart ovenproof bowl. Place sugar in a bowl and stir in black food color until desired color is achieved. Set aside.
- 2 Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Pour batter into the prepared bowl and bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cake cool for 15 minutes in the bowl then invert and let cake cool completely.
- 3 Once cake is completely cool, trim flat side of cake and place on a cake board. Trim edges into a ball shape. Frost with the white frosting. Next, using a toothpick, draw a pentagon in the center top of the cake. Surround the pentagon with five hexagons. Repeating to cover entire cake. Cover lines with black licorice cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Fill the pentagon shapes with black-colored white sugar.
- Calories 638.3
- Carbohydrate 119.6 g
- Cholesterol 1.3 mg
- Fat 16.6 g
- Fiber 0.7 g
- Protein 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Sodium 550.1 mg
- Sugar 88.1 g