Fun to make.
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F (43 degrees C))
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- coarse salt, or to taste
- 1 Stir yeast into 1 cup warm water in a large bowl; beat in flour, sugar, shortening, and salt to make a dough. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- 2 Place dough into a greased bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down dough and divide into 12 equal-size pieces. Roll each piece into a rope 18 to 20 inches long.
- 3 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- 4 Shape each rope of dough into a pretzel on the prepared baking sheet; let pretzels rest for 5 minutes. Beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl and brush yolk mixture over each pretzel; sprinkle each with coarse salt.
- 5 Bake in the preheated oven until pretzels are golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Calories 158
- Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Cholesterol 17.1 mg
- Fat 1.8 g
- Fiber 1.2 g
- Protein 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Sodium 676.4 mg
- Sugar 2.2 g