A blade roast isn’t just for pot roast any longer; use your sous vide to make this cheaper cut of beef into a company-worthy dinner.
- 1 (3 pound) blade chuck roast
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef base (such as Better than Bouillon®)
- ½ teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce (such as Bragg®)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 Place a heat-resistant pad underneath a large pot filled with warm water. Attach a sous vide precision cooker to the pot and set temperature to 135 degrees F (57°C). Set the timer to 24 hours.
- 2 Remove all surface fat and silver skin from the roast. Truss the roast and generously season with salt and pepper on all sides.
- 3 Place the roast in a large resealable bag and remove all the air with a vacuum sealer. Place bag in the pot once the right temperature is reached, making sure it is completely submerged. Cover pot with plastic wrap to ensure the water doesn't evaporate.
- 4 Combine olive oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, thyme, and parsley in a small bowl 1 hour before the timer goes off.
- 5 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) 20 minutes before the timer goes off. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- 6 Remove the bag from the pot and transfer to a plate. Remove roast and pat dry using paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible. Place the roast on the prepared baking sheet and cover with olive oil mixture.
- 7 Roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- 8 While the roast is in the oven, combine water, beef base, soy sauce, and garlic granules in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a soft boil, then reduce heat, and simmer until sauce is reduced, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 9 Remove roast from the oven, cover with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 10 Slice roast and place on a platter. Drizzle au jus on top or serve sauce separately.
- Calories 182.3
- Carbohydrate 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 51.7 mg
- Fat 13.7 g
- Fiber 0.1 g
- Protein 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5 g
- Sodium 247.7 mg