Published Nov 26th
Prep 20m Cook 10m Additional - Ready In 30m
Servings 6 biscuits Calories 340.1
Biscuits are hotly debated, but to me these bring together all the best aspects of any great biscuit. They are just salty enough, crispy around the edges, soft and tender in the middle, and never dry or crumbly. There’s nothing dusty or bland about these beautiful Southern cream biscuits!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold salted butter, cubed
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2 Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in the bowl of a food processor; pulse to mix. Drop cold cubes of butter into the dry mix and pulse just until mix comes together and forms a ball, about 4 to 5 times; do not overmix.
- 3 Pour milk, cream, and sour cream into the dry mixture in the food processor and pulse until it just comes together and forms a ball, 4 to 5 times. Do not overmix!
- 4 Use a butter knife or sturdy rubber spatula to pry the dough out of the food processor and turn it onto a well-floured surface; dough will be very sticky. Don't use your fingers! They're too hot and will start melting the butter.
- 5 Sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough and gently knead until it comes together into a ball, about 4 to 5 times. Be gentle and do not overwork the dough; you are developing flaky layers and not really mixing it at this point. Gently shape dough into a rectangle and pat to a 1 1/2-inch thickness.
- 6 Use a non-serrated knife to cut dough into 6 square biscuits. Place on the prepared baking sheet so squares are just touching.
- 7 Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown on top, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Break biscuits apart just before serving.
- Calories 340.1
- Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Cholesterol 60.8 mg
- Fat 20.4 g
- Fiber 1.1 g
- Protein 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Sodium 613.2 mg
- Sugar 1.1 g